Thursday, September 29, 2022

Publications 2022

Bakul Banerjee: Anandalipi 2022: Curious Memories in a New Country, page 125; https://issuu.com/anandamandir/docs/anandalipi2022/6

Bakul Banerjee: 2022 Marylyn Houghton Keyton Founders Prize for poetry (Naperville Writers Group) Winner - The Sandstorm

Bakul Banerjee: Allium - A Journal of Poetry and Prose An Immigrant Woman's Fish Stories This short story has been nominated for the 2022 Pushcart Prize.

Bakul Banerjee: Panoply magazine - An Accidental Appalachian It is based on an event during my brief stay in southern Ohio. 

Bakul Banerjee’s poems on Index of ISPS Member Poems by Author (illinoispoets.org)

The Sandstorm

The color of the sky was turning acid green.

“Close the windows.” Mother was screaming.

I was peeking at love letters in the cookie tin,

that my father wrote to his new bride. I gave in.

 

Closing windows against the wind was daunting.

Despite efforts, the fierce sandstorm blew in.

In the summer afternoon, the house went dark.

I could not remember where I left the old tin.


The power was out. In the darkness, I tasted grit.

Ganga, that’s what my father called her. I kept

thinking. Was she like the mighty river swollen

by the monsoon, shimmering under the moonlight?